Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A look into my past

I do not remember my past. But I wrote down my human past when I was turned and have added to it since. These are a shortening of my memoirs.

I was born Heidi Leda Clio Aphrodisia of Sparta to Hermione and Orestes. It was not a humble household. But that was due to my family's roots. My grandparents are fairly well known in Greecian history. Helen and Menelaus. Though you may know them better as Helen of Troy and King Menelaus. I never knew my grandmother. She chose to leave my mother alone with my grandfather. But my grandfather loved to spoil me. He took every chance he could. When I was a child I loved it. But as I aged I grew tired of being treated like a princess. I didn't want to be spoiled. I wanted to branch off. So I told my grandfather that I wanted to be independent. He told me no of course and the next day I was bethrothed.

Herodotus was my soon to be husband. He was a well known Spartan general. He was tough and handsome. The personification of masculinity himself. He wanted nothing to do with the wedding plans. He just wanted me to be his trophy wife. A pretty woman he could show off like a piece of property. I never agreed with this mindset. But I had no choice. We were married in a large ceremony the next month. And a week after that he went off to battle. I lived alone for months. Living how Spartan women did. I provided for myself. Became an independent woman.

When he returned from war I thought he would be furious that I had become a strong willed woman. Instead he was intrigued. He had always had an archaic point of view. Women should be seen and not heard. But when he came back he was different. I could tell that he had softened to me. Even missed me. And our romance blossomed. We learned more about each other. And we started to love each other. He was a very selfish lover at first. But then he started to adapt and become more gentle.

Three months after Herodotus had returned from battle, I became pregnant. And with this very nervous. I wanted a daughter more then anything. But I knew that he wanted a son and would not love a daughter the same way. 30 weeks later Elizabetta was born. And as expected, my husband did not approve. He went into a rage. He wanted an heir. And he wanted one fast. Elizabetta was not strong. She was in fact very week. In modern times she would be called premature. He did not like that I had to put so much care into keeping her alive and well. He ranted about how a son would not require so much.

When Elizabetta was a month old when Herodotus started acknowledging that I wasn't about to give her up and that she really was strong for surviving so long. But I was very caring towards her. Always by her side. Nurturing her. Herodotus took the first year of her life as a sort of vacation from the military. He worked as a carpenter for that year. And there was happiness. For a little while.

After Elizabetta was a year old, Herodotus started to get bored with his mundane work. He wanted to go back to fighting. So he left me and Elizabetta at home while he went off to battle once again. I could barely balance taking care of Elizabetta and working so I got a job as a baker and took care of her when I wasn't in the kitchen. The rest of the time I had a young woman take care of her in exchange for free food.

One night when I went into town after leaving Elizabetta with my mother, I noticed that I was being followed by a man. When I started walking down a street I quickly realized he was not a friendly man. He held a dagger to me. He told me to give him my jewelry or he'd kill me. But I wouldn't do it. He pushed me against a wall of a nearby building and I smashed my head into the wall. I collapsed. My sight was starting to dim. When all of a sudden I felt a cold yet comforting hand in mine and an unbearable pain after something pierced my neck.

A few days later the pain stopped. I felt different. I felt thirsty. I needed something to drink. And I looked around. I was in a bedroom. A very lavish bedroom. And there was a man taking care of me. He told me that I was part of his family now and that my beauty would become very useful. He explained to me what I had become and what had happened. Then he told me all about the laws and his plans for the budding group known as the Volturi.

A week later I found out that Herodotus had been killed in war. Before I had even been turned. I couldn't go to the funeral ceremony. I was said to have been missing. My parents worried. My grandparents worried. But after a while they came to terms with the fact that I was gone. I never came to terms with the fact that I didn't get to say goodbye to Elizabetta. She was alone. Taken in by my parents. She never remembered her parents. But I will always remember her.

No comments:

Post a Comment